PREPARE FOR N.C. LICENSURE AND IMPROVE SCHOOL AND STUDENT OUTCOMES
Total Credits 33
Cost per Credit $459
- Complete your degree in as few as 12 months
- NCATE-Accredited (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education)
- Licensure-aligned curriculum — sit for N.C. exam upon graduation
- No GRE/GMAT entrance exams
- Jobs for school administrators to increase by 7.9%1
With total tuition of about $15,000, small class sizes, and an NCATE-accreditation, the online Master of Arts in Educational Leadership helps transform you from an educational advocate into a principled K-12 administrative leader.
What Makes Us Unique?
Individual Attention. Work directly with faculty who have decades of real-world experience. They have been in your position and offer your dedicated support and mentorship.
Flexible format for work/life balance. Experience a convenient, flexible, and innovative online learning environment. The asynchronous course format makes it easy to find time to review materials and complete assignments without missing out on any outside obligations.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Excel as a Principal or Administrative Leader
The Master of Arts in Education Leadership from Queens University of Charlotte prepares you to address the complex challenges in K-12 education today. Effective principals and school administrators need more than just exceptional teaching skills. They must have the leadership ability to inspire improvement, lead educators and staff, and the analytical and business skills to drive meaningful outcomes.
The MA in educational leadership program’s small, online class sizes, means you will work directly with faculty who have decades of real-world experience and have been in your position. You can count on them for support, mentorship, and firsthand wisdom as you pursue your own path to educational leadership.
Fast and Flexible Pathways to Graduation
Every student’s circumstances are unique, which is why Queens offers you two timelines to complete your online Master’s in Education Leadership. All options feature the same quality curriculum and are taught by expert faculty.
- Finish in 12 months: This accelerated approach allows you earn your master’s degree in one year, allowing you to interview for higher-level education positions faster.
- Finish in 16-20 months: Ideal if you have existing professional, work, or personal commitments.
Experience an education leadership degree program that ensures you get the hands-on skills required to make a difference for your students and school.
Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
A Curriculum That Prepares You for Licensure
Delivered in an interactive online learning environment, Queens comprehensive Educational leadership online curriculum prepares its graduates to qualify for licensure as a K-12 principal in North Carolina.
Course materials and assignments were designed by our faculty to give you the hands-on training necessary to face the daily challenges of school administration, including community building, dispute resolution, and budget management.
Strategic, instructional, and cultural leadership is key to this 33-credit curriculum. The flexibility in completing your internship during the school year allows you to end your program around the peak hiring time for K–12 schools.
N.C. Licensure Alignment
Not a North Carolina Resident?
Students living outside N.C. should review their state’s requirements for licensure and are encouraged to check with their school districts and state DOE to confirm transferability and reciprocity.
What You Will Learn
The Queens online Master’s in Education Leadership program prepares you to confidently walk away with a robust set of skills to propel you toward a long career as an education leader. Outcomes of the program include but are not limited to the following:
- This program meets the requirements for the Professional Educator’s Continuing License, which is required to become a principal in North Carolina.
- Become a principal or administration leader who proactively advances the field of education.
- Understand your natural leadership style and how to leverage it effectively.
- Interpret data and statistics and map out a plan for improvement.
- Effectively manage your school with available resources.
- Collaborate with others to create positive change for students and teachers.
The average annual salary for a high school principal is $92,197.
Jobs for School Administrators to Increase by 7.9%
According to Burning Glass Labor Insights Occupational Analysis, the projected job growth for elementary and secondary school administrators is projected to increase by 7.9% over the next ten years.1
Similarly, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects employment opportunities for elementary, middle, and high school principals will grow at a steady 4% through 2028, on pace with the nationwide average.2
That translates to 11,200 new jobs overseeing schools, helping create curricula, managing budgets and staffing, and ensuring students have a safe place to learn and grow.2
The median annual wage for this position is $95,310 per year, with the top 10 percent of principals earning almost $150,000 annually.2View Job and Career Outlook
100% online, no application fee, no GRE requirement, and the total tuition is about $15,000.
MAEL Admission Requirements
With no application fee, Queens University of Charlotte makes it easy to apply for admission to the online Master’s in Education Leadership program. Here is what you will need to get started.
- Completed application. You can start your application here.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative 2.70 GPA or better on all post-secondary coursework. Minimum 2.50 GPA will be considered with official, passing GRE test scores of 150 Verbal and 150 Quantitative.
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary coursework
- Written statement describing professional and personal goals
- Two letters of professional recommendation: one from a principal, showing proof of at least two years teaching or school counseling experience
- Connection to public, private, or charter school to complete internship requirements
Affordable Tuition and Financial Aid
At Queens University of Charlotte, we pair academic excellence with affordability. At $459 per credit hour and a total tuition just over $15,000, not including fees and other expenses, the MA in Educational Leadership is a great investment in yourself, your career, and the districts you desire to serve.View Tuition Details
Figuring out how to pay for your education shouldn’t be intimidating. Many of our students use federal financial assistance to offset their tuition, and you may qualify, too.
Learn more about your financial aid options, including employer tuition reimbursement, scholarships and grants, and military benefits.Explore Financial Aid
Guided by Expert Faculty
The faculty in the online Master’s in Educational Leadership program focus on the reality of the modern school environment and how you can change it for the better.
Each member of our faculty brings extensive experience and is a real-world practitioner well versed in the modern-day challenges schools face.
Our educational leadership online degree program professors make themselves available to connect with you one-on-one, building strong mentoring relationships that equal those of an on-campus experience.Read Faculty Bios
The Online Student Experience and Its Advantages
Queens has a student-first approach to online learning that prioritizes what you need to succeed, including 24/7 tech support. You will benefit from smaller class sizes and experience our rich, interactive learning platform that makes connecting with your studies simple.Learn More About Online Learning
Frequently Asked Questions
As you explore Queens’ Master’s in Educational Leadership, our dedicated staff is here to ensure your decision-making is stress-free and enjoyable. If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 866-313-2356.
Tuition is $459 per credit hour and the program requires 33 credits. The total tuition cost is $15,147.
The program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (NCATE). The organization focuses on accrediting teacher education programs in U.S. colleges and universities to ensure they meet rigorous teaching and learning standards. It was founded in 1954 and was recognized as an accreditor by the U.S. Department of Education. The organization also provides professional and intellectual support for institutions to prepare the documentation needed for accreditation purposes and improve the quality of teacher-education programs.
This program prepares you to qualify for licensure as a K–12 principal in North Carolina. If you reside in another state, consult with your school district and the state department of education for details about transferability and reciprocity.
To be admitted to the program, you must complete an application, have a cumulative undergraduate 2.7 GPA on a 4.0 scale, have two years of professional teaching experience, and provide a resume, official transcripts of all colleges previously attended, statement of purpose and two letters of recommendation.
- Burning Glass Technologies: Labor Insight™. Retrieved June 29, 2020.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Elementary, Middle, and High School Principals. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved September 18, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/elementary-middle-and-high-school-principals.htm